Major General Attahiru Ibrahim, the Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, on Saturday transferred 53 Boko Haram insurgents who had surrendered to the military rehabilitation centre for de-radicalisation process.
Ibrahim disclosed this at the handing over of the former insurgents to the Commander, Operation Safe Corridor in Maiduguri, Borno State.
He said: “We have started the Initial process of identifying who they are and we are handing them over to Operation Safe Corridor.
“They will move to a safe place where the de-radicalisation process takes place for possible re-integration into the society.”
The theatre commander explained that 53 out of the 70 insurgents that recently surrendered to the military had been re-validated and transferred.
Major General Bamidele Shafa, the Coordinator, Operation Safe Corridor, said the programme was designed to facilitate surrendering of the insurgents.
Shafa said: “It is a Federal Government’s initiative aimed at de-radicalisation, rehabilitation and re-integration of willing and surrendered Boko Haram members to the society.
“It is a multinational and multi-agency set up. We have a camp within the theater where they will go through a well-planned programme that would make them better citizens.”
According to Shafa, the rehabilitation programme will be run for three months.
Seventy insurgents had so far surrendered to the military in the Sambisa axis, while 700 others had indicated interest to surrender.
Trending
- Lagos pensioners give Sanwo-Olu 14-day ultimatum to address grievances
- Why Natasha’s recall petition failed – INEC
- Alleged Shiites killings: Abuja indigenes condemn crackdown on peaceful protesters
- Police uncover body of site engineer murdered, buried by his employees
- Police arrest suspects connected to hotel murder in Delta, reveal crime details
- Osun State Police Command gets new spokesperson
- Retired DSP allegedly kills three, commits suicide
- NAF gets new spokesperson, Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame