The Defence Headquarters has adduced reasons why dreaded sect, Boko Haram, overran Marte in Borno State.
The defence was put up by the Defence Headquarters on its Twitter handle on Saturday.
It said Marte had been a deserted town before the recent incursion of terrorists in the area as efforts are being taken to address any untoward development.
It said following the need to wipe out terrorists in other areas and based on the fact that the people of the town had fled to other places, the troops stationed in the town were deployed to other theatres of war.
It said: “There has not been any static deployment of troops in Marte for quite sometimes in line with the need to emphasise more aggressive patrol of many threatened isolated communities while the assault on the forests and mountain hideouts of terrorists is ongoing.
“Only occasional patrols and surveillance have been undertaken towards the area as the bulk of troops are engaged in the operation to clear the terrorists from all identified enclaves in the forest
“Besides, Marte had been deserted by citizens most of whom had fled to other towns while others are in IDP camps located in Maiduguri and other places.
“It is understandable that those terrorists escaping from the offensive operations in Sambisa and other enclaves are looking for place of respite.
“They must have found the Marte deserted and decided to harbour there.
“Now that their presence is reported, the issue will definitely be addressed in a very short while.
“There is really no cause for alarm in the way some reports are presenting this situation as if it is a meaningful resurgence of terrorists. This will only fool the terrorists and their sympathisers into false celebration
“There will certainly be no respite for terrorists anywhere in Nigeria. Wait and see.”