The next England soccer manager will have to pass strict behaviour protocol tests and vow 100 per cent commitment to the job, FA Chairman, Greg Clarke, told British MPs on Monday.
He would ideally be English and, if not, should be fully conversant with the game in England and have several years experience of managing at the top level.
Clarke, who has been Football Association Chairman since early September, was grilled by the Parliamentary Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee following Sam Allardyce’s ill-fated 67-day reign as England manager.
Clarke said: “Sam was in breach of his duties as an employee … He let us down badly because in the end we want an England manager whose sole priority is winning for the team.”
Allardyce, given the job in July, left after the Daily Telegraph reported that he had allegedly offered advice on how to get round FA transfer rules.
He was in charge for one World Cup qualifier.
The committee, concerned about corruption in English football, questioned whether the FA had delved deeply enough into Allardyce’s past before appointing him.
They cited a TV investigation in 2006 into his transfer deals as a club manager.
Clarke, who for six years was chairman of the Football League which governs the professional game below the Premier League, said no wronging had been found.
The story by undercover reporters was published three weeks ago.
It included allegations that Allardyce, hired for a reported 3 million pounds ($3.7 million) a year, was offered 400,000 pounds, to represent a Far East firm interested in investing in the English game, if possible by circumventing rules.
Trending
- Uromi killings: DHQ warns against reprisals, says Edo, Kano leaders have brokered peace
- Police arraign two men over alleged unlawful possession of human head, parts
- Court strikes out suit against Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road project
- Police arraign two men over alleged unlawful possession of human head, parts
- Amotekun arrests 28-man syndicate of fake travel agents
- Shehu Sani rejects Miss World pageant judge appointment
- Kidnapped Abia oil magnate regains freedom
- Gold vendor laments as employee cart away jewelry worth over N100M + Video