The Lagos State Government on Wednesday said that 2,234 pilgrims from the state would be participating in the 2019 Hajj to Saudi Arabia.
Dr Obafemi Hamzat, the Deputy Governor, made the disclosure while inaugurating an 11-Man Committee for this year’s Hajj at Alausa, Ikeja.
He said that the first batch of pilgrims would leave on July 10.
Hamzat said the welfare and performance of the pilgrims from the state was important to the state government.
He said: “We have a total of 2,234 pilgrims that will be participating in this year’s Hajj, and the first batch is leaving on July 10.
“We assure you that the state government will provide the necessary support and logistics that will make the holy exercise a successful one.”
Hamzat urged the newly constituted committee to meet up with the responsibility given to them.
Also speaking, Adebunmi Adekanye, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs, said that seminars and health checks had been organised for the pilgrims.
Shee said: “We have organised seminars for the participants in order to acquaint them with the dos and don’ts of hajj, and to enrich them with the required knowledge that will enable them to perform acceptably at this year’s Hajj.
“Health checks have been organised too to take necessary precautions against ill-health and prepare the participants adequately for the challenges of the pilgrimage.”
Responding, the Chairman of the newly inaugurated 11-Man Committee, Alhaji Abdullahi Ahmad, promised to work in accordance with the laws to ensure that Lagos becomes the best performing state in the 2019 Hajj.