Brazilian police said on Tuesday they have decided there are no grounds to bring rape charges against soccer star Neymar.
And they are investigating whether his accuser filed a false report.
“We checked all the possibilities. I did not see enough elements to indict,” Sao Paulo police investigator Juliana Lopes Bussacos said in a press conference.
Bussacos’ decision could be revised by prosecutors within 15 days.
Brazilian model Najila Trindade accused the 27-year-old forward of raping her in a Paris hotel in May.
He denied the accusation and said their relations were consensual.
Neymar is currently in a preseason tour of Asia with his club, Paris Saint-Germain.
Bussacos interviewed Trindade three times about her claims and she said 12 other people were also questioned.
Neymar himself was questioned for about five hours in mid-June.
Police also inspected cellphones, a tablet of Trindade’s son and medical reports offered by the accuser.
The model filed her complaint in Sao Paulo on May 31, alleging Neymar raped her earlier in the month in Paris.
No complaint was filed with French police.
Her case has been complicated by the fact three of her attorneys withdrew from the case after the complaint was filed.
Bussacos did not detail what led her to the conclusions because the probe is still under secrecy.
“The whole set of evidence led me not to indict,” the investigator said.