Less than 24 hours after the publication of a heart-touching story of how an otherwise healthy woman slipped into coma due to wrong medications at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, the management of the hospital has reacted, saying it is investigating the incident.
The woman’s distraught daughter, Damilola Awosedo, had narrated to the public how her mum slipped into a coma.
This was after a nurse injected her mother with another round of anaesthesia instead of antibiotics following a successful surgery and recovery process.
Awosedo had lamented how the LASUTH management had played the Ostrich, acting as if it had not committed an error by keeping mum on the matter.
But hours after the narrative was published in no fewer than five online newspapers: The Conclave, Prompt News, The Eagle Online, Veracity Desk and National Accord, the management of LASUTH was compelled to respond.
THE CONCLAVE is reporting that the Director of Clinical Services and Training, Prof. Adebowale Adekoya, was said to have visited Awosedo about 12 noon on January 21, 2024 with a promise that the hospital management would take care of all intensive care treatment expenses even as he assured her that a neurologist had been assigned to see her mother, who is in coma.
Professor Adekoya’s visit came on the heels of a statement by the LASUTH management on its X handle at about 12 noon on Sunday, entitled: “LASUTH IS INVESTIGATING THE ALLEGATION OF WRONG MEDICATION ADMINISTRATION.”
The statement reads: “The management of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital is currently investigating the allegation of wrong medication administration on one of its patients who had surgery.
“A high-powered panel has been constituted to look into the allegation.
“The hospital management wishes to affirm that there will be no cover up and any worker found guilty will be administratively dealt with.
“In the meantime, the said patient is receiving FREE intensive care treatment and all hands are on deck concerning her case.
“Some members of the family had a fruitful meeting with the Head of Our Quality Assurance on Friday 19th January at about 3pm. We are therefore surprised at the unnecessary escalation of the issue to the social media.
“Unusual adverse events do occur in Medicine. Some may truly be due to human error but others may be not be. The important thing is to carry out a thorough investigation, which is what we are currently doing.
“We will make our findings available when we are through with the investigation.”
Also Read:
- NNPCL announces new Senior Management Team
- Reports I’ve dumped PDP malicious lies, political hatchet job
- Journalist and APC spokesman, Tunde Oladunjoye, is dead
- NNPCL announces new Senior Management Team
- Reports I’ve dumped PDP malicious lies, political hatchet job
In a counter reaction, Awosedo’s husband, Tunde Awosedo, said that LASUTH management was distorting information, pointing out that contrary to its claim that his mother-in-law had been receiving FREE intensive care treatment, the family had spent almost N1 million between January 16, 2024 and January 21, 2024 on her treatment.
According to him: “I have all the receipts of payments made.
“The man just came this (Sunday) morning and as I speak with you (Sunday afternoon), they have not done anything so far.”