The Federal Government troops deployed to Yobe and Borno States have captured some notorious leaders of the terrorist group, Boko Haram, and recovered various weapons.
Brigadier Genera; Chris Olukolade, the Director of Defence Information, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday.
In the statement, Olukolade gave the report of a nine-member Defence Headquarters Operational Assessment Team, sent by the Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral Ola Ibrahim, to the two states.
Olukolade said the team visited troop locations in various parts of Borno and Yobe States.
He said: “The commanding officer narrated the conduct of the operation to rid the forest of the insurgents who had made the location their sanctuary.”
Olukolade quoted him as saying that some notorious leaders of the terrorists had been captured while some materials recovered in their camp had provided useful intelligence for subsequent operations.
“The team was shown the various weapons, including rockets and locally fabricated weapon accessories captured in the forest,” he added.
Olukolade said the recovered items included a large number of Improvised Explosive Devices, bomb making materials, laptops, mobile communications equipment used for shooting and posting online videos as well as locally made rockets and rocket launchers.
He added: “Also, seized vehicles of different brands were shown to the team.
“Several vehicles destroyed by the terrorists as well as their tailoring equipment apparently used in producing fake uniforms were also shown to the team.”
He said the commanding officer told the team that the unit suffered casualties in men and equipment.
The defence spokesperson said troops were currently engaged in night and day patrols of the area to dominate the forest and apprehend any terrorist who might be lurking around.
He said the Chief of Defence Staff expressed satisfaction with the high level of successes so far recorded in the operation.
Olukolade said he thanked the troop for a job well-done and urged members not rest on their oars until the entire region is fully sanitised and cleared of all terrorist activities.
He said the troops were assured of regular logistics supply.
Trending
- Minister advocates extension of NYSC to two years
- Two Chinese expatriates, police inspector killed in Abia ambush
- How Army, vigilantes rescued abducted Israeli from kidnappers’ den in Taraba
- How I was raped by colleague, actress Lolo 1 alleges
- Tinubu vows severe punishment for Plateau attackers, commiserates with families of victims
- 46th Alaafin: We’ll continue to follow due process to govern – Makinde
- Atiku mourns passing of devoted aide of over three decades
- Governor Alia has not collected any loan – CPS