The Borno State Police Command on Friday confirmed multiple blasts ignited by suspected female suicide bombers around NNPC depot on Damboa Road, Maiduguri.
The spokesman of the command, Victor Isuku, made the confirmation in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Maiduguri.
Isuku said: “Our men are still working at the scene of the blasts.”
He also pledged to give details later.
An eyewitness, Malam Abubakar Kaumi, told newsmen at the scene that the blast occurred around 3am.
Kaumi said: “A woman suspected to be a suicide bomber walking alongside two girls came round the depot.
“They detonated their explosives near some petrol tankers parked there, and destroyed the three vehicles.
“Gladly, nobody was closed by, so, only the three bombers died.”
An official of the National Emergency Management Agency, Malam Abdul Ibrahim, also confirmed the report.
Ibrahim said: “Three suspected suicide bombers detonated their explosives along Damboa road, Maiduguri, in the early hours of Friday, destroying three petrol tankers parked near the NNPC depot.”
He also said that the fire caused by the explosion had been brought under control while rescue efforts were ongoing.
NAN.
Trending
- Nigerian military, Briech unveil first indigenous attack drones, bombs
- Edo: Okpebholo extends olive branch to Ighodalo after tribunal victory
- Ighodalo heads to Appeal Court as tribunal affirms Okpebholo’s victory
- Orchestration against Aisha Achimugu: A classical betrayal of justice, womanhood, and nationhood, by Binta Adeshola
- Governor Eno inaugurates agriculture, food security committee
- Man dies in Osun road accident
- Benue’s First Exhibition: A strong testimony about potentiality, creativity of Benue people – Alia
- Tinubu’s reforms will yield positive results for all – Dabiri-Erewa