The Nigeria Police Force on Sunday in Abuja warned personnel of the force against giving money for selection for Peace Support Operations.
The Officer-in-Charge of Peacekeeping, Deputy Commissioner of Police Lawan Jimeta, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the police force frowned at issues of indiscipline among its officers.
Jimeta said fraudsters had opened Facebook account in his name and other officers with their photographs, with the aim of duping unsuspecting and greedy officers.
He said: “For the avoidance of doubt, peacekeeping selection is not done on Facebook.
“There are established procedures and it is not done with money.”
Jimeta said anyone requesting for money to select any officer for peacekeeping was only out to deceive such officer.
Jimeta warned that any person caught would be prosecuted according to established laws.
On behaviours of Nigerian contingent, he said all selected officers undergo pre-deployment training in line with the UN manual.
He said: “Discipline is the bedrock of the Nigeria Police Force.
“We are very serious with the issue of discipline.”
Jimeta said all police contributing countries to peace support operations had imbibed and internalised the UN training manuals.
Jimeta said the issue of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse had been a problem in peacekeeping operations.
He added that the management of the police force was always very swift in taking action on issues of SEA.
Jimeta explained that whenever any country’s contingent got involved in such a case, they would be repatriated to their countries.
He said the Nigerian contingent had not been involved in this case, adding that the police would always ensure that it gave adequate training for its contingent.
“Our peacekeepers have been commended for their conduct,” he said.
NAN reports that the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, recently fired the head of the agency’s peacekeeping mission in Central African Republic over sex abuse allegations against peacekeeping troops.
NAN.
Trending
- Breaking: Following heavy traffic on Wednesday, FG reopens closed Lagos bridge
- Nigerian military, Briech unveil first indigenous attack drones, bombs
- Edo: Okpebholo extends olive branch to Ighodalo after tribunal victory
- Ighodalo heads to Appeal Court as tribunal affirms Okpebholo’s victory
- Orchestration against Aisha Achimugu: A classical betrayal of justice, womanhood, and nationhood, by Binta Adeshola
- Governor Eno inaugurates agriculture, food security committee
- Man dies in Osun road accident
- Benue’s First Exhibition: A strong testimony about potentiality, creativity of Benue people – Alia