Man arrested for poisoning food at restaurant, leaving two dead, 44 hospitalized

The restaurant owner, Anna Erah, and her husband, Edward Erah, died shortly after eating the food

The Police Command in Cross River has confirmed the arrest of a 35-year-old man, Paul Nchui, for allegedly poisoning food at a restaurant in Ogoja.
Irene Ugbo, the State Police Public Relations Officer, confirmed the arrest in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Calabar.
NAN recalled that the incident occurred on March 24 at Oboso community in Ogoja Local Government Area and left two persons dead while 44 others were hospitalised at the Ogoja General Hospital.
The restaurant owner, Anna Erah, and her husband, Edward Erah, died shortly after eating the food.
NAN reports that the suspect was reportedly seen by many people at the scene of the crime
Ugbo said: “I wish to inform you that one Paul Nchui, a suspect who poisoned a restaurant in Oboso community in Ogoja has been arrested.
“The suspect is in our custody, we will charge him to court as soon as we conclude our investigation.”
The PPRO, who told NAN that the suspect had confessed to the crime, however said that some victims of the food poison have been discharged after treatment.
Dr. Inyang Asibong the State Commissioner for Health, also told NAN that symptoms displayed by the victims included vomiting, foaming in the mouth, body weakness and spitting of blood.
Asibong said: “We have dispatched a team of epidemiologists, doctors, community health workers and other related health staff to the affected community.
“They are to ascertain the real situation on ground and offer immediate medical assistance to all those affected by the poison.”
John Inaku, the Director General, Cross River State Emergency Management Agency, also assured the victims of the State Government’s support.
Inaku commended the management of the Oboso hospital for their prompt response in evacuating the victims to the Ogoja General Hospital for treatment.