With less than 24 hours to go before the FIFA Congress votes on whether to keep or lift the suspension against Kuwait, the delegation of Kuwait Football Clubs is optimistic to have the ban on Kuwait football removed.
Since the beginning of the week, several representatives of Kuwaiti football clubs have been holding positive meetings with Football Associations from around the world to explain the crisis currently affecting football at all levels – from the elite to grassroots.
A statement by the clubs said the situation in Kuwait is a FIFA family affair, especially because this affects football at its core.
It said Kuwait football players, coaches and referees must get back on the pitch.
Saad Al-Hootie, former captain of the Kuwaiti national team and spokesperson for the Kuwait Football Clubs delegation, said: “Kuwait football is suffering. Our clubs from all leagues, players from all levels and the development system have been completely blocked from any activity for more than half a year now. The most frustrating part in all of this is that our FA is not doing anything to have the suspension lifted. This is why we are in Mexico City this week, to defend the future of football in our country. And also tell our side of story. FAs are making a big decision on Friday and we want to make sure they have all the information they need to support us in lifting the ban. So far, we have received a lot of support from the FIFA family and we are very optimistic. It is time to let our players play!”
Abdullah Al-Maayouf, member of the National Assembly of Kuwait, said: “The process that led to our suspension was unclear, unfair and not worthy of the new FIFA administration. No proper legal investigation was made by FIFA before the suspension was imposed. It happened within three weeks last autumn, at a time when FIFA was in a leadership vacuum. This is proved by the fact that many other very important international sport federations such as Athletics, Cycling and Badminton have not suspended Kuwait following a proper investigation by their legal teams. This makes us believe that something else is behind our suspension in FIFA because only sports organisations where certain people from Kuwait have a lot of influence such as FIFA and the IOC have suspended Kuwait. We believe that these international sport leaders from Kuwait pushed for the suspension in order to drive their personal political agendas. So now is the chance for the new FIFA administration to show that FairPlay and correct processes are back in football; and that we are putting an end to a system where politics matter more than football.”
The FIFA Congress will vote on Friday on whether to keep or lift the suspension of the Kuwait FA.
The entire Kuwaiti football community, the statement further said, will be expecting the result with big hopes as it will shape the future of the sport in the country.
The delegation of Kuwaiti football clubs present at the FIFA Congress in Mexico, the statement said, looks forward to putting an end to “this unfair situation and get the players back on the pitch”.
Kuwait football clubs express optimism FIFA will lift suspension on country
Previous Article2016 budget: FG identifies 34 priority actions to achieve strategic implementation plan
Next Article How to tackle maternal mortality, by Ambode