The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said it has appealed an order of the court directing it to make full disclosure of the properties seized from the former Managing Director of Oceanic Bank Plc, Cecilia Ibru.
The EFCC in a statement by its Head, Media and Public Relations, Wilson Uwujaren, said it was therefore not accurate to still be demanding for the report of the Ibru properties when the order had been challenged.
Uwujaren said the appeal was informed by the EFCC’s belief that it was unwarranted and misdirected.
The statement reads in full: “The attention of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has been drawn to media reports alleging that the Commission failed to comply with an order by the court to disclose the extent of assets recovered from Mrs. Cecilia Ibru, former Managing Director of Oceanic Bank Plc.
“Justice Mohammed Idris of the Federal High Court Lagos, had on February 22, 2013 given the Commission a 72-hour ultimatum to make the disclosure following an application by President of the Progressive Shareholders Association of Nigeria, Boniface Okezie, on the strength of the Freedom of Information Act 2011.
“While the Commission has no problem with individuals and organisations seeking information under the Freedom of Information Act, it is necessary to state that the EFCC has already appealed against the said order.
“The appeal was informed by the Commission’s belief that the order was unwarranted; just as the request which informed it was misdirected. By the judgement of Justice Dan Abutu delivered on October 8, 2010, the EFCC had ceased to be the custodian of the forfeited Ibru assets. Justice Abutu had, while sentencing the convict on October 8, 2010 made pronouncements regarding the fate of her forfeited assets. Indeed paragraph 3 of page 2 of the order of Justice Abutu provides thus: “That in addition, all the assets set out in schedule VI of the Settlement Agreement are hereby forfeited to the Assets Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON).”
“By this order, the EFCC ceases to have custody of the assets and so cannot be compelled to disclose what it does not control. This order is public knowledge which is why Justice Idris’ ultimatum came as a surprise. From the order of Justice Abutu, it is very clear where enquiries about the Ibru properties should be directed; certainly not the EFCC.
“It became necessary to make this clarification to erase, finally, all ambiguities regarding sources for information and institutional responsibilities for the Ibru assets. The Commission completed its job on the Ibru case the day she was convicted.”
Trending
- Minister advocates extension of NYSC to two years
- Two Chinese expatriates, police inspector killed in Abia ambush
- How Army, vigilantes rescued abducted Israeli from kidnappers’ den in Taraba
- How I was raped by colleague, actress Lolo 1 alleges
- Tinubu vows severe punishment for Plateau attackers, commiserates with families of victims
- 46th Alaafin: We’ll continue to follow due process to govern – Makinde
- Atiku mourns passing of devoted aide of over three decades
- Governor Alia has not collected any loan – CPS