Seven people from the same family were killed by a fire when it ravaged their grass thatched hut in the eastern Ugandan district of Bukedea, a police spokesperson said on Wednesday.
Michael Odongo, East Kyoga Regional Police spokesperson, said that the incident happened after a jerrycan containing petrol caught fire at Amutoro village in Bukedea trading centre at around 20:00 local time.
He said the woman, who was cooking from outside their hut carried the charcoal stove inside the house leading to the deadly fire.
Odongo said: “The seven died of horrific burns. The family has been dealing in illegal business of selling petrol.”
Odongo said the charred bodies were taken to Aturutur Hospital for a postmortem before handing them to the relatives for burial.