Pursuant to his powers under the laws establishing the federal universities in Nigeria, His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the reconstitution of Governing Councils of 23 out of the 40 federal universities in the country for a period of four years , in the first instance.The institutions affected are those whose Governing Councils’ tenures have elapsed or would on April 9, 2017.
In making these appointments, President Buhari was said to have taken cognizance of the requirements for membership into Governing Councils, which include among others, a minimum of a university degree, high integrity, and commitment to educational development of the country.
In addition, consideration was also given to geopolitical spread, in order to reflect federal character and foster sense of belonging.
The affected universities and their Chairmen, according to the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, are:
1. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria – AVM Muktar Mohammed
2. University of Nigeria, Nsukka – Chief Mike Olorunfemi
3. University of Lagos – Dr. Wale Babalakin
4. Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) – Prof John Ofem
5. University of Calabar – Sen. Nkechi Justina Nworgu
6. University of Ibadan – Joshua Waklek
7. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Uni (ATBU), Bauchi – Amb. Niniola Nimota Akanbi
8. Bayero University, Kano (BUK) – Prof. Ibrahim Gambari
9. Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) – Senator J.K.N. Waku
10. Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurum (FUPRE) – Prof Shehu Abdullahi Zuru
11. Federal University of Technology (FUT), Minna – Prof Femi Odekunle
12. Michael Okpara University of Agric, Umudike (MOUAU) – Engr. Bello Suleiman
13. Modibbo Adama University of Tech, Yola – M. Bukar Zarma
14. Nmandi Azikiwe University, Awka – Alhaji Aziz Bello
15. University of Abuja – Alhaji Sani Maikudi
16. Fed University of Agric, Abeokuta – Dr. Aboki Zhawa
17. Fed University of Agriculture, Makurdi – Prof Alkassum Abba
18. University of Benin – Alhaji Isah Ashiru
19. University of Ilorin – Dr. Jibril Oyekan
20. University of Jos – Prince Tony Momoh
21. University of Maiduguri – Prof. Biodun Adesanya
22. University of Uyo – Prof. A. C. Awujo
Usman Danfodiyo University, Sokoto – Rtd Hon. Justice Pearl Enajere
Those not affected by the reconstitution are the Governing Councils of the 12 new Federal Universities in Lokoja, Otueke, Gashua, Dutsin-Ma, Oye-Ekiti, Lafia, Gusau, Wukari, Kashere, Birnin-Kebbi, Dutse and Ndifu-Alike-Ikwo, which were inaugurated in March, 2016 as well as those of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Ile-Ife and University of Port Harcourt, re-constituted in January this year (2017).
The tenure of the council of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) will elapse in January 2018.
The new Governing Councils are to be inaugurated at the auditorium of the National Universities Commission on a date to be announced soon, Adamu said in the statement.