Doyin Okupe, the erstwhile Senior Special Assistant to former President Goodluck Jonathan, on Wednesdayappeared as the third defence witness for Olisa Metuh, the embattled spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party, in his trial over his alleged role in the $2.1 billion arms deal involving a former National Security Adviser, retired Colonel Sambo Dasuki.
Metuh is being prosecuted alongside his company, Destra Investment Limited, on a seven-count charge before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
He is accused of allegedly receiving N400 million from Dasuki.
The money was said to be part of the $2.1 billion voted for the purchase of arms by the Goodluck Jonathan Administration.
At an earlier sitting on Tuesday, the defence had presented Colex Ifeanyi Odenigbo, a consultant with Q-time Nigeria Limited, who had told the court that there was a remittance of N450 million from the Office of the NSA to Destra Nigeria Limited, the source of which he said was not made known to him.
At the resumed sitting on Wednesday, Okupe, while being led in evidence by Metuh’s counsel, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), narrated how he was part of the meeting in which Metuh made a presentation on what could be done to launder the image of Jonathan and that of the PDP.
Okapi said: “After the meeting, the President said he will make a directive for Metuh to be mobilised with funds to carry out the project.
“The next day, Metuh called me to tell me that his account had been credited with N400 million.”
Under cross examination by the counsel to the EFCC, Sylvanus Tahir, Okupe admitted that government institutions and agencies are not part of the organs of the party.
When shown one of the exhibits, an e-payment mandate from the Office of the NSA detailing the transfer of N400 million to Destra Investment Limited, Okupe claimed he does not understand the document neither does he know what it is all about.
Thereafter, Ikpeazu sought for an adjournment on the grounds that Metuh has a health challenge.
Consequently, Justice Abang adjourned to May 19, 2016 for continuation of defence.