Nigeria, late on Monday, denied any wrongdoing in the second arms deal with South Africa involving $5.7 million.
The reaction of the Nigerian Government on Monday tended towards a diplomatic row with South Africa as it reminded the government in Pretoria that it had allowed South African companies such as MTN operate without hinderance within the country.
A report in a South African newspaper, City Press, earlier on Monday said the South African Government had seized another $5.7 million belonging to the Nigerian Government.
The money was meant for the purchase of arms.
This is coming barely two weeks after $9.3 million cash, meant for the same purpose, was seized from the Nigerian Government representatives in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Reacting to the latest seizure, Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, retired Colonel Sambo Dasuki, denied any wrongdoing in the transaction.
Speaking through his media aide, Karounwi Adekunle, Dasuki said there was a genuine business transaction between both countries.
He said: “We want to state clearly that a business transaction actually took place between a legitimate company in Nigeria and another legitimate one in South Africa through the bank.
“In the course of events, the South African company could not perform and decided to refund the money. What is illegitimate in this transaction done through the bank?”
Nigeria was quick to remind South Africa that there are several companies of South African origin operating in Nigeria without any hinderance from the Nigerian Government.
The statement by Dasuki added: “It is our hope that South Africa would reciprocate this noble gesture.”
The Nigerian Government had earlier on Monday said the reports by Rapport and City Press vindicated its official position that the transactions were legitimate as they confirmed that contrary to insinuations, end user certificates and a ‘shopping’ list accompanied the transactions as well as a note from the Nigerian Government authenticating the deals.
According to the reports, documents show that the earlier consignment was approved by the Nigerian government through Dasuki’s office, which is officially mandated to issue the end-user certificate for such transactions that involved security agencies in Nigeria.
An entire “shopping list” was also said to have been supplied with the certificate, which included everything from helicopters to unmanned aircraft, rockets and ammunition.