The United States of America has charged the Federal Government to find and bring to justice the killers of over 50 students of the College of Agriculture, Gujba, Yobe State.
The US gave the charge in a statement issued by the Department of State on Tuesday.
The statement, signed by the Department’s spokesperson, Jen Psaki, said that it was important to bring those responsible to justice and enhance the protection of civilians and respect for the rule of law.
The US said those responsible for the killing of the students and others have no place in a democratic society.
The statement reads in full: “As Nigeria prepares to celebrate its 53rd year of independence, the United States stands with all Nigerians to reject the heinous violence that continues to be perpetrated by Boko Haram and other extremist groups. These attacks on innocent civilians have no place in a democratic society.
“Following last week’s heinous attack in Benisheikh, where more than 160 people were shot and slaughtered, this weekend’s attacks in Yobe state took the lives of more than fifty innocent students and civilians. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in these senseless acts of violence.
“We encourage the Government of Nigeria to work together with the families of the victims and affected communities to find and bring those responsible for this deplorable violence to justice, and to enhance the protection of civilians to ensure respect for the rule of law.”
Previous ArticleUduaghan at independence: Let’s renew our bond of unity
Next Article Airtel offers free phone in Independence Day promo