Dolphins will not return to Port Harcourt, Rivers State after their 0-1 loss to Gombe United on Wednesday.
The team is due to play El Kanemi in Maiduguri on Wednesday but rather than make the 20-hour journey back to Port Harcourt on Thursday and then make another 23-hour journey to Maiduguri on Monday, the team decided to stay back.
Media Officer of the club, China Acheru, says the players held a meeting with the General Manager, Dumbo Awanen, who thought it was a good idea.
Acheru said: “Our General Manager, being a former player of the team, certainly understands what players got through travelling across the country for games.
“I believe that after meeting with the players, among Awanen, Stanley Eguma and the sports commissioner, Fred Igwe, it was agreed that the team stay behind rather than let the players face the trauma of making the combined total of 63 hours road trip in one week.
“At Dolphins, things may not be perfect but we always try to put the physical conditioning of our players ahead of any other thing.
“It will cost us some money but we also need to get a good result in Maiduguri so we do not need the players travel weary ahead of the game.”
Dolphins have not picked up an away point so far this season in the northern part of Nigeria, save for the 1-1 draw in Ilorin, Kwara State in the first round of the league.
Trending
- How I survived in kidnappers’ den – General Tsiga
- ICPC unveils five thematic areas to combat corruption, enhance fiscal transparency in LGs
- Senate will consider tax reform bills after resumption, Bamidele reveals
- Natasha: Constituents thank INEC for recognising 208,132 signatures
- Umahi apologises for Independence Bridge closure, vows disciplinary action
- New NNPC Group CEO: Brilliance, experience, acumen, by Kunle Akogun
- Oyebanji unfolds infrastructure upgrade plan for EKSU
- Yabatech blazes trail in gender response pedagogy training, certification in tertiary institutions