The Nigeria Customs Service and the Nigeria Immigration Service have denied being in possession of the list of prominent Nigerians banned from travelling outside the country, Saturday PUNCH is reporting.
According to the highly credible newspaper, the spokesmen of the two Services made their positions known in separate interviews.
The spokesman of the NIS, James Sunday, told Saturday PUNCH: “We have not received the travel ban list; we are a law enforcement agency, our service will fully enforce whatever directive the Federal Government gives to us.
“So, once the directive (travel ban) is given, we are going to comply.
“We are an enforcement agency, we don’t have any reason not to comply.”
The Public Relations Officer of the NCS, Joseph Attah, also told Saturday PUNCH: “There’s none of such as far as I know.
“I’ve not seen any such list as I speak with you.
“However, if there is any development that is necessary to let the public know about, I’ll let you know.”
However, the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari, Malam Garba Shehu, who made the initial position of the Federal Government known, insisted that the travel ban list had been handed over to the security agencies by the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami.
Shehu told Saturday PUNCH: “The AGF has made the list available to them.
“That is the information available to me and I don’t have any reason to doubt him.”
The Federal Government had through Shehu announced a travel ban on over 50 high profile Nigerians accused of engaging in corrupt practices.
It said this followed the commencement of the full implementation of the Executive Order 6.
She said in a statement earlier in the week: “To this end, a number of enforcement procedures are currently in place by which the Nigeria Immigration Service and other security agencies have placed no fewer than 50 high-profile persons directly affected by EO6 on watch list and restricted them from leaving the country, pending the determination of their cases,” the statement titled, ‘Buhari directs implementation of EO6 in full force.”