Dr. Liman Mohammed, Deputy Director of Public Health in Nasarawa State Ministry of Health, says 12 persons had so far died of coronavirus complications in the state.
Mohammed, who is also the Manager of Emergency Operation Centre of the state COVID-19 response team, made the disclosure on Thursday in Lafia.
He spoke in an interview with select journalists who were trained on COVID-19 reporting.
The journalists were trained by Breakthrough Action-Nigeria, a Non-Governmental Organisation, alongside their counterparts from other states.
The manager said as at August 13, the state had 371 confirmed cases of coronavirus.
He explained that 264 of the confirmed cases were successfully treated and discharged, but 12 persons lost their lives.
Mohammed further said out of the number of confirmed cases, Karu Local Government Area alone had the highest with 120 cases followed by Lafia with 108, Keffi with 90 cases among others.
He urged members of the public to always adhere to COVID protocols, which included regular washing of hands under running water, use of face masks, observing physical distancing among others.
The official said the virus was very much in the state and was being transmitted in communities and urged the public to take personal responsibility to contain further spread of the virus.
Mohammed added that the state had put in place a lot of measures to contain the virus, including establishing two treatment centres for coronavirus patients and quarantine centres.
He also disclosed that the ministry had trained teachers of secondary schools before resumption on the minimum ways to ensure that schools were safe.
Mohammed further said the ministry had also distributed face masks, sanitisers, liquid detergent among others to secondary schools as part of effort to contain coronavirus.