Three contractors handling the Eko Atlantic Project have urged the Federal High Court to dismiss a suit seeking to stop it.
The plaintiff, Mondinvest Limited, is demanding N2 billion in general damages for the alleged damage of its property due to the defendants’ activities.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the defendants: M.V. Breughel (sister vessel to M.V. Congo River), the Master of the M.V. Breughel and Dredging Environmental and Marine Engineering NV, are contending that the plaintiff lacks jurisdiction to file the action.
The plaintiff filed the admiralty case, known as in rem proceedings, for alleged coastline and property damage caused by M.V. Congo River and MV. Breughel.
They are currently engaged in dredging operations in the Kuramo Waters in furtherance of the Eko Atlantic project.
Arguing their notice of preliminary objection on Wednesday, the defence counsel, Ken Okwujiako, urged the court to dismiss the suit for want of jurisdiction.
Okwujiako said: “Our position is that the plaintiff, not being owners of the Kuramo Waters coastline, has no basis for demanding damages.
“The Kuramo Waters belong to the Federal Government.
“It is our view that the plaintiff has not stated any right it has over Kuramo Waters whatsoever.”
Okwujiako said that the defendants were agents of a disclosed party, which had already provided a guarantee in case of any damages.
He said: “We urge your lordship to strike out this suit.
“At the appropriate time, we shall bring an application for cost.”
The counsel to the plaintiff, Adedolapo Akinrele (SAN), said his client’s property on the Kuramo Waters was damaged through the dredging.
“It is clear that the plaintiff has suffered damages and is still suffering damages as a result of the dredging,” Akinrele said.
Akinrele prayed for an interlocutory order restraining the defendants from continuing with the dredging, sand filling of the Kuramo Waters pending hearing and determination of the suit.
He urged the court to preserve the res (subject-matter of the suit), saying his client was only concerned about a narrow, disputed and protected part of the water.
Justice Mohammed Yunusa had granted an order of arrest and detention of the vessels, which were later released upon the presentation of a N3.7 billion bank guarantee in accordance with admiralty procedure.
Among other reliefs, the plaintiff was praying the court to determine whether the necessary permits set out for the Eko Atlantic Project by the Federal Ministry of Environment had been obtained.
After listening to arguments, Justice Jude Dagat, who took over from Justice Yunusa, adjourned the suit till March 14 for ruling.
NAN.
Trending
- Shettima departs Abuja for Dakar to attend Senegal’s 65th Independence
- Bauchi reopens schools after five-week closure for Ramadan
- When are you going to get a proper job?, by Azu Ishiekwene
- Rivers emergency rule: Nigerian activists in US to protest at White House
- Uromi killings: DHQ warns against reprisals, says Edo, Kano leaders have brokered peace
- Police arraign two men over alleged unlawful possession of human head, parts
- Court strikes out suit against Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road project
- Police arraign two men over alleged unlawful possession of human head, parts