Three-time Serie A winner Mario Balotelli has completed a move to Italian second-tier side Monza where he will link up with former Milan teammate Kevin-Prince Boateng.
The signing also sees the 30-year-old striker reunited with ex-Milan president Silvio Berlusconi, who is overseeing an ambitious project at the Serie B outfit.
The former Manchester City and Liverpool striker, who has been without a club since leaving Brescia earlier this summer, has signed a short-term deal until the end of the season.
The Italian recently trained with Serie D side Franciacorta in November and was also linked with Championship club Barnsley.
He told Gazzetta dello Sport: “I thank the president [Silvio] Berlusconi and Adriano Galliani for this opportunity. I will do everything to help Monza reach Serie A.”
Chairman Galliani added: “Mario is a good guy and even today in our interview I had confirmation of this.
“After all, I repeated it to him: ‘Don’t trust flatterers. If necessary, you will hear my criticism, but it will be for your good.’
“I saw the understanding in his eyes, the reaction I was looking for.
“The turning point was Mario’s availability, but also that of (his agent) Mino Raiola, who renounced any commission.
“Then we began to negotiate, already knowing we would come to an agreement.”
Ultimately, Balotelli’s attitude and antics off the pitch hindered his ability to reach bigger heights in the game.
And current Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho, his manager at Inter, has plenty more tales about Balotelli.
Mourinho said: “I told him to be in my office at 2 o’clock for a meeting. He was not there. When I called him, he went to the Formula One qualification on Saturday for the race on the Sunday.
“I told him ‘Mario, you have to come to my office’ and he was saying meetings in your office I can have every day, but to see the Formula One, is only once a year in Italy. A couple of days later I had to laugh then.”