The coronavirus pandemic prompted Australia to withdraw its athletes from the 2020 Olympics on Monday.
With its athletes unable to train or prepare properly due to “social distancing” and a clampdown on travel, the Australian Olympic Committee said it could no longer assemble a team for the July 24 to August 9 Games in Tokyo.
“It’s clear the Games can’t be held in July,” Australia Chef de Mission Ian Chesterman said on Monday, three days after telling reporters the team was committed to the schedule.
“Our athletes have been magnificent in their positive attitude to training and preparing, but the stress and uncertainty has been extremely challenging for them.”
Australia had previously been in lock-step with the International Olympic Committee, which until Sunday had insisted the Games would go ahead as scheduled.
After weeks of pressure, the IOC finally said postponement was in its “scenario planning”, with a decision expected in four weeks.
The timeframe was not quick enough for the AOC, however, which announced its decision shortly after Canada became the first country to boycott the Games.
AOC Chief Executive Matt Carroll said he hoped the Games would go ahead in Tokyo, but not until the summer of 2021.
“We’ve had to make a call now because of the situation here in Australia and other parts of the world,” Carroll told reporters in Sydney on Monday.
Trending
- CSO faults US Mission’s position on Edo governorship poll
- Abia governor condemns attack on Chinese miners
- APC seeks security agencies’ intervention in Osun LG crisis
- Assassination allegation: Group gives Akpoti-Uduaghan seven days to produce evidence
- ACF to FG: Act now on Plateau killings
- AFDEIC 2025: Conference to focus on Africa’s $180bn digital economy, Artificial intelligence
- Kano Eid-el-fitr Killing: Police withdraw invitation letter to Emir Sanusi
- PDP, Ighodalo insist on challenging tribunal decision after studying judgment CTC