Seye Ogunlewe, Nigeria’s current fastest male athlete, on Friday said he was in top form and preparing for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in August.
Ogunlewe won the men’s 100m final at the 2015 National Championships in Warri, Delta State, racing to his first national title with a time of 10.19 secs.
Ogunlewe told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos that he had been training toward being the best at competitions heralding the Olympics.
He said: “I am doing my best to get to the championships.
“I have been preparing before now.
“I am self-driven, wanting to be the best I can be for myself and Nigeria.
“Last year is past.
“We are in a new year and I am hopeful because there are the outdoor seasons, All Nigeria and African Championships before the Olympics.
“All I want is to excel and continue to do the country proud.”
Ogunlewe also appealed to parents to support their children.
He said: “I am lucky that I have a family that supports me, who helps me to get to where I want to be.
“It is a good thing when your loved ones support you in whatever profession you choose.
“It gives you assurance that nothing can go wrong.”
Ogunlewe has his personal best in 100m by 10.19 +1.6 in Loughborough, Great Britain in 2015.
NAN.
Previous Article13 die of food poisoning in Abuja
Next Article Snoring can cause stroke, early death – Expert