Victor Osimhen has officially been crowned as the Italian Footballers’ Association (AIC) Footballer of the Year after a marvellous season in front of goal for Napoli.
The AIC awards, which began in 1968, include several notable accolades, including the team of the year, coach of the year, club of the year and goal of the season.
After leading the line in the Partenopei’s first title-winning season in 33 years, Osimhen and his teammates were recognised across various categories on Monday evening.
- El-Zakzaky, wife return to Nigeria after medical trip abroad amidst rousing welcome
- N30.3m extortion: Police confirm arrest of Officers
- Oyebanji approves N331m for LG Chairmen to buy, distribute food items, tackle hunger
- Chronicles of anger, hunger and frenzy of happy people, by Anthony Kila
- EFCC arrests 48 university students over alleged internet fraud
The most prestigious award of the night and the last to be handed out is the Player of the Year, which had previously been awarded to the likes of Rafael Leao, Gianluigi Buffon, Cristiano Ronaldo, Andrea Prilo and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Osimhen was selected as the 2023 winner largely thanks to his goalscoring contributions.
During Napoli’s Scudetto-winning campaign, the Nigerian found the net on 26 occasions from 32 Serie A appearances.
Despite a tougher start to the 2023-24 campaign and recent struggles with injury, Osimhen has continued his impressive goals-per-game ratio, with six from 10 after the 14th game week.