The Lagos State Police Command says it has recorded 111 defilement cases between April and June, 2023.
The command’s Spokesperson, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed this to the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday.
Hundeyin said that the command was concerned about the increasing number of defilement cases in the state.
He said that within the same period, 14 rape cases and 56 cases of domestic violence were recorded.
The Police image maker said 99 suspects were charged to court within the period.
- Primate Ayodele releases prophecies for Haiti, Chad, Zimbabwe, Zambia, others
- Obasanjo to Tinubu: Approach Zimbabwe for solution to inflation
- Banking sector contributes 70% to fraud in Nigeria — EFCC
- Northerners invade Ondo forests for ‘hunting’, Amotekun arrests 67
- FCTA to get nine Permanent Secretaries soon – Wike
He further said that 83 cases were currently under investigation, showing the command’s commitment to prosecuting any domestic and gender-based violence in Lagos State.
Hundeyin said that the remodelling of the command’s Gender Unit by CP Idowu Owohunwa was an indication of his commitment to deal decisively with gender-based violence culprits.
He said that more officers had been trained and added to the unit with a view to improving investigations on gender-based violence cases.
The Police spokesperson appealed to the public to always speak out when abused or when they witnessed gender and sexual abuses around them, and assured that the command would rise to protect their rights.