An accountant with the Cross River Ministry of Education was on Wednesday shot when gunmen trailed him to the old Government Secretariat near Government House in Calabar.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the accountant was shot on the thigh.
He was trailed to the secretariat from a bank where he had gone to make some withdrawals.
The two gunmen were said to have trailed the victim to his office complex where they forcefully took the bag containing money from him after shooting him at close range.
- Nigeria anticipates positive outcomes at WTO 13th Ministerial Conference, by Doris Uzoka-Anite
- WASA: Army promotes cultural heritage to foster peaceful coexistence – Dasuki
- NPFL: Kano Pillars whip Sunshine Stars in Kano
- Agency demands probe as fire guts IDPs building second time
- Liverpool claim League Cup with extra-time victory over Chelsea
The spokesperson for the state Police Command, SP Irene Ugbo, who confirmed the story, said the victim was immediately rushed to the Naval Referral Hospital for medical attention.
Ugbo condemned the act, adding that the police were already on the trail of the gunmen who were said to have trailed the victim on motorcycle.
NAN reports that the city has recently witnessed a surge in robbery attacks on motorcycles.