A visually impaired man, Francis Ugachukwu is to cool his heels in Kirikiri Correctional Centre for allegedly defiling a 13-year-old girl, (name withheld).
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Justice Abiola Soladoye of the Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court remanded the defendant, pending hearing and filing of his bail application.
Soladoye adjourned the case until Oct.18 for hearing of bail application and commencement of trial.
Ugachukwu was arraigned on one count of defilement.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
According to the state counsel, Abimbola Abolade, the defendant committed the offence sometime in November 2022 at No. 16 Kareem Giwa St., Abule-Osun, Ojoo in Lagos.
- When ‘sorry’ means nothing, by Funke Egbemode
- Alleged N4.8b fraud: New judge takes over Ibeto’s case
- TUC to Tinubu: We’re not politicians, it’s our right to protest
- Revealed: Wigwe built tomb for his burial + What he wrote on it
- Petrol Subsidy: FG still paying N1t monthly — Pinnacle Oil MD
According to the prosecution, the offence contravened the provisions of Section 137 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.
NAN reports that the offence is punishable with life imprisonment, if found guilty.