A Toronto-area man is speaking out after a selfie he took last year was digitally altered and re-purposed as an image of one of the terrorists responsible for the deadly attacks in Paris, France on Friday.
A photo of Veerender Jubbal, which he had originally posted in August 2014, was altered to show him holding a Quran and wearing an explosive vest before making the rounds on social media over the weekend and was even published by some news organizations.
Although a Spanish newspaper issued an apology on Sunday for publishing the photo with a caption that said Jubbal was one of those responsible for the Paris attacks, but Jubbal is still going around explaining to as many that care to listen to him about his person.
Jubbal took to Twitter to defend himself and said in a statement on Monday that the past 48 hours had been “deeply disturbing”.
“Over the weekend, a photograph was doctored to suggest that I was one of the terrorists associated with the Paris tragedy,” he said in a statement on Twitter
Jubbal said he was a member of the Sikh community, had never been to Paris but had lived in Canada all his life.
He added that the situation put him in a “bad position” and that he could be targeted due to the misinformation, especially when international news outlets decided to share the image as truth.