The UN has expressed regrets over Tuesday’s accidental airstrike on an internally displaced person’s camp in Rann, Borno State and called for full investigation into it.
The UN also called for greater measures to protect civilians in the areas of military operations against the destructive Boko Haram insurgents, according to a statement issued by the Office of the UN Secretary-General.
The statement said: “UN humanitarian officials are also questioning how a military airstrike ended up striking the displacement camp.
“Intermingled with messages of sympathy and solidarity with the victims, UN agencies called for a full investigation and greater measures to protect civilians going forward.”
The Head of the UN Refugee Agency, Filippo Grandi, who met with Nigerian refugees in Borno in December 2016, called the airstrike “a truly catastrophic event”.
Grandi, therefore, “called for a full accounting so that the causes are known and measures put in place to ensure this does not happen again”.
The Nigerian Government has announced that it would investigate the airstrike.
In its message, the UN Children’s Fund, stressed the importance of protecting civilians in complex humanitarian emergencies.
UNICEF Director for Emergency Programmes, Manuel Fontaine, said: “UNICEF stands in solidarity with our humanitarian colleagues, and the dangerous conditions they work in.
“The aid workers who lost their lives were working to save others.”
Amid outpouring of sympathy, UN emergency responders have continued to aid the bombed Nigerian camp.
The statement said: “United Nations humanitarian helicopter and emergency medical personnel are in north-eastern Nigeria following a military airstrike that hit a displacement camp killing dozens of people, including aid workers, and wounding a reported 100 others.
“The UN Humanitarian Air Service, airlifted eight Nigerian Red Cross workers from the camp in Rann as part of the emergency responses.”
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, also said the response included nearly 900 lbs of emergency medical supplies.
OCHA said: “The Nigerian army also deployed a medical team and ‘is working with humanitarian partners to ensure maximum support to the affected people.”
It said the camp was located in Rann, which had been under the control of the group Boko Haram for the past several years, and out of reach to aid workers.
Around 43,000 people are estimated to be internally displaced and struggle with food shortages as a result of the fighting and bad roads.
Edward Kallon, the UN Resident Coordinator and Humanitarian Coordinator for Nigeria, had called the airstrike “an unfortunate tragedy that befell people already suffering”.
Trending
- Ekiti set to employ doctors, nurses on National Assembly members’ bill – Oyebanji
- National President Women in Energy, Oil and Gas to chair The Bullion Lecture
- Oladunjoye: Oniroyin Support Initiative mourns passing of its convener
- Profiling Natasha as Segilola, Sweetheart of 1001 men, by Festus Adedayo
- Tinubu celebrates Dame Fashola at 60
- Anambra 2025: Ukachukwu defeats Ozigbo to clinch APC ticket
- Uromi killings as a paradox for national insecurity, by Taiwo Adisa
- Lagos issues over 100 stop work orders on structures in Lekki