President Muhammadu Buhari has commiserated with the Nigerian Air Force on the air accident which involved two fighter jets in the fleet in Abuja on Friday.
President Buhari’s condolence message is contained in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, in Abuja on Friday.
The President paid tributes to the gallantry of Squadron Leader, Bello Baba-Ari, the officer who died in the accident while also wishing the two other wounded officers quick recovery.
In a condolence message delivered on his behalf by the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Abubakar Siddique at the burial of the officer on Friday in Abuja, Buhari extolled the virtues of the dead pilot.
The president said the deceased had laid down his life in the service of his fatherland at a time that patriotic citizens were needed to join hands to move the nation forward.
He assured that having paid the supreme sacrifice, the nation would not forget him.
He prayed that God would grant the soul of the departed eternal rest and assured family members of the deceased that the country would not abandon them.
The representatives of the President had earlier visited the two other officers, who sustained injuries, Squadron Leader, Abatuba and Flight Lt. Ambi in the hospital.
Kyari, who led the delegation, conveyed the President’s good wishes to them.
The President wished them quick recovery, assuring them “the hearts of Nigerians are with them and are praying for them as they make a quick return to good health’’.
According to him, the country will do whatever it takes to ensure that they are back on their feet in excellent state.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the remains of the deceased pilot, Baba-Ari, had since been buried at the Gudu cemetery, Abuja.

Muhammadu Buhari, former Nigerian military ruler and presidential candidate for the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) speaks during an interview with Reuters at a private residence in Lagos February 19, 2011. Buhari, the main opposition candidate in Nigeria's presidential election, said he was optimistic it would be a more credible race than in the past but warned events in north Africa showed people would no longer accept a rigged vote. Picture taken February 19, 2011. To match Interview NIGERIA-BUHARI/ REUTERS/Akintunde Akinleye (NIGERIA - Tags: POLITICS HEADSHOT)