The National Executive Council of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics will on Tuesday appraise the progress made so far in its indefinite strike, which began on April 29.
Chibuzor Asumogba, the ASUP president, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos on Monday that the meeting followed the intervention of the National Assembly Joint Committee on Education.
The committee; the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’i; and her Labour and Productivity counterpart, Chief Emeka Wogu, had met with the union on July 9, urging them to call-off the strike.
Asumogba said that the NEC meeting would decide the next line of action, noting that the union had received a green light on CONTISS 15 migration and other promises.
He said: “The NEC is meeting tomorrow to appraise the progress made so far, following the meeting held with the committee on education.
“We have received a green light on the CONTISS 15 and we have promises here and there on other demands.
“The committee on education is proactive in addressing our demands.
“The committee is highly placed and with its members’ integrity, we have no doubt that our demands will be addressed.”
On whether the strike would be called-off after the NEC meeting, the ASUP president said that anything was possible.
He said: “It all depends on what the NEC decides tomorrow.
“Everything will be decided tomorrow.”
ASUP, among other reasons, went on strike citing the failure of the federal and state governments to implement agreements on issues affecting polytechnic education.
ASUP wants a full implementation of the Consolidated Tertiary Institution Salary Structure and a stop to discrimination against holders of the Higher National Diploma.
The union is also protesting the absence of a National Polytechnics Commission and the deplorable condition of many polytechnics in Nigeria.
Previous ArticleAdidas suspends contract with Tyson Gay
Next Article Nsofor set for Eagles return