Khabib Nurmagomedov has revealed that he has been offered a lucrative amount of money to fight Floyd Mayweather in Saudi Arabia.
According to Yahoo Sports, the UFC star would pocket in excess of $100 million if he went toe-to-toe with the currently retired American boxer.
Any possible bout would see the encounter staged as a boxing contest, rather than mixed martial arts, just like when Mayweather beat Nurmagomedov’s bitter rival Conor McGregor on August 26, 2017.
If Nurmagomedov, who was reportedly paid $2 million to watch Anthony Joshua beat Andy Ruiz in their rematch in Saudi Arabia in December, did consider crossing combat sports, he confirmed it would only be for the money.
“Mayweather is only a money fight,” the Russian told Yahoo Sports at a Dominance MMA media day event at the Park MGM.
“It’s only for the money, period. That’s it.
“But they [the Saudis] want me to come very badly to fight with Mayweather.”
Earlier this month, Nurmagomedov proposed to fight the 43-year-old for 11 rounds of boxing and one round with MMA rules.
However, Mayweather says he would only come out of retirement for a $600 million (£450 million) pay-day.
“It doesn’t make sense for me to fight just any ordinary fighter because I’m at the point right now where it’s about business, I’m a businessman,” he said at a Q&A in London on March 4.
“Why would I fight any ordinary fighter for $30 million when I can fight a guy who has a whole country behind him for $300 million?
“The first fight [against McGregor] was entertaining. It’s all about entertaining.
“We talked about the Conor McGregor fight, we talked about the Khabib fight.
“For myself, the number is $600 million. If I’m going to go out there and risk it anything, it would have to be worth it.”
For now, UFC lightweight champion Nurmagomedov is gearing up to fight Tony Ferguson at UFC 249 in Brooklyn on April 18.