The Nigerian Online Newspaper

Emir Sanusi: Over 800 herdsmen killed in Taraba, yet FG took no action

The Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has accused the Federal Government of taking no action when he personally made available the pictures of 800 Fulani herdsmen and their families that were killed in Taraba State last year.
Sanusi said this and more in an interview he granted Sunday PUNCH.
He added the killings in the Middle Belt were being perpetrated by both the herdsmen and the locals, stressing that the murder of the herdsmen was not being accurately reported, thereby presenting a false narrative of “one-sided killings”.
He said: “Some months ago in Mambilla, in one weekend, over 800 Fulani were murdered by Mambilla militias.
“The papers did not even go there to cover the story. Most of those wiped out were women, infants and the elderly.
“In one case, a pregnant woman was killed, her stomach was ripped open and the baby was brought out and slaughtered.
“I personally handed over to the Federal Government a dossier with the names and pictures of the 800 or so people slaughtered as well as the names and addresses of persons known to have participated in these acts of ethnic cleansing.
“Nothing has happened.
“I also ensured that authorities received video and audio evidence of senior politicians in Taraba State, who were involved in this act of genocide.
“No one has been arrested.
“Fulanis were also murdered in Kajuru and Numan.
“In many of these cases it was not about conflict but militias raiding settlements to kill women and children, and then later, attacking herdsmen and slaughtering them and their cattle.”