The Defence Headquarters has said that the “alarmist” report on foreign and online media on Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, was “clearly intended to cause panic in the city and the nation”.
A statement posted on the DHQ’s website on Thursday said that all facets of security arrangements for the defence of Maiduguri had been upgraded to handle any planned attack.
The statement also said that the arrangements would take care of attempt to disrupt the city’s prevailing peace.
It said: “This kind of alarmist report is uncalled for in view of the efforts and alertness.
“Citizens are nevertheless enjoined to remain vigilant as they go about their lawful businesses.”
It said that the situations in Mubi, Michika, Bazza, Gulak, Gwoza, Bama, Gamboru Ngala and other parts of the North East had been stabilised as highly-coordinated air and land operations were ongoing.
“The efforts are yielding impressive results in the overall move to rid the areas of terrorists’ activities,” it added.