Phillip Shauibu, Edo Deputy Governor, on Monday lauded President Muhammadu Buhari’s quick response during the xenophobic attack in South Africa.
This comes in the wake of the recent eruption of xenophobic violence in South Africa, which dominated the news all over Africa throughout last week
The Nigerian Mission in South Africa says no fewer than 400 Nigerians have indicated interest and registered to be evacuated from South Africa following the recent xenophobic attacks.
Ajulo said on Sunday that the government should initiate a legal action against South Africa predicated on Nigeria’s ratification of the protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights on establishment of an African Court on Human and Peoples’ Right signed on May 29, 2004.
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project has sent an open letter to Soyata Maiga, Chairperson of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, and the commission’s members requesting them “to urgently submit a case on the escalating xenophobic attacks against Nigerians and other African citizens in South Africa to the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights and to seek an effective remedy and reparation for Nigerian victims.”
The Governor, who was at Sangotedo and Surulere Shoprite malls and stores to have a first-hand assessment on the level of destruction of the facilities, described it as “enormous”
This unexpected behaviour cannot be justified in the face of unprovoked attacks that Nigerians received lately in the hands of their South African counterparts. These attacks must be condemned in its entirety because it is not reflective of the true spirit of Africa
The youth, who marched from Zoo Road to Audu Bako Secretariat along the State Road, carried placards with various inscriptions condemning the action on Nigerians.
The President of NICASA, Ben Okoli, made this known in a telephone conversation with the News Agency of Nigeria from Johannesburg, South Africa.
Alhaji Abubakar Malami, the Attorney-General of the Federation, has cautioned Nigerians against hitting the businesses of South Africans in response to alleged xenophobic attacks against their compatriots in the former apartheid nation.
The association’s president, Seyi Akinleye, in a statement on Friday, described the brutal onslaughts on foreign nationals in the rainbow nation as unexpected and inhumane.
Zambia’s first President, Kenneth Kaunda on Friday, urged leaders in Africa to rise up to stop xenophobic attacks that have rocked South Africa.
The International Committee also unequivocally condemned the reverberating reprisal attacks in some countries in Africa such as Nigeria and Zambia.
A member of the House of Representatives, Shina Peller, on Friday, urged the leadership of the National Assembly to call for an emergency session to address the challenges of attacks on Nigerians in some parts of South Africa.
The plan by the Air Peace Airline to evacuate Nigerians in South Africa from September 6 suffered a setback as majority of those interested in the process have expired passports.
Nigerians have long travelled far and wide in search of knowledge, of experience and prosperity. As we have travelled, we have opened also our borders to those who will seek their greener pastures here.
Rather, Gbajabiamila said the time to take action is now.
The Board of MTN Nigeria on Thursday condemned the recent xenophobic attacks and violence perpetrated against Nigerians and other nationalities in South Africa.
The Federal Government has clarified that it is only recalling the country’s High Commissioner in South Africa for consultation, over the recent escalated xenophobic attacks on Nigerians living in that country.
The National Chairman of All Progressives Congress, Adams Oshiomhole, has urged Nigerians to boycott South African goods and services to protest the killings of Nigerians and other nationals living in that country.