The third heavyweight world title fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder has been rescheduled for October 9 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
WBC heavyweight champion Fury had signed a contract in May to fight American Wilder, 35, for a third time on July 24 but tested positive for Covid-19.
Fury, 32, had previously been set to face fellow Briton Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia in August in a world heavyweight unification title fight, but an American arbitrator ordered Fury to fight Wilder again.
Fury said: “I want nothing more than to smash the ‘Big Dosser’ on July 24, but I guess the beating will have to wait. Make no mistake, I will be back and better than ever. We will fight October 9 and I will knock him spark out.”
The first fight between Fury and Wilder finished in thrilling draw in 2018 before Fury took the WBC title from his rival with a spectacular victory 14 months later, bringing the Alabama fighter’s unbeaten record to a brutal end. Fury is unbeaten in his 31 fights, with Wilder suffering that one defeat in 44 outings.
Wilder wore headphones and refused to take any questions when they went face to face at a press conference last month.
“Not only is Fury in for a shock, but the whole world is,” Wilder told Sky Sports in an exclusive interview. “Of course, Fury [was more hurt]. I gave him concussion. Didn’t you see his eyes go back in the back of his head?
“Even under the circumstances that I was under, he can’t even knock me out. I was alive and well, still standing on my feet, so he has a lot to worry about. Not me. Like I said, the truth shall set you free. This is retaliation.”
Fury was equally confident. “I’ve got nothing personal against Wilder,” he said. “I don’t care about belts, or that stuff being remembered. I care about smashing people.
“If Wilder is in front of me I will give him a good hiding. The motivation? It’s what I was born to do.
“I’m not interested in money, belts or whatever comes with it. I’m interested in blood and the fight.”