Tyson Fury has admitted that he will “move on” from the Anthony Joshua fight if he does not hear anything about a fight deal by Tuesday.
The Gypsy King has repeatedly vented his frustration about the delay in negotiations over the all-British unification fight that would bring all five of the heavyweight belts together.
Talks between Joshua and Fury’s camp have insisted for several weeks that a fight deal is “imminent” but the latter has now set a deadline for a resolution.
Fury told the Behind the Gloves podcast: “If I don’t hear anything by Tuesday, I’m just going to move on because it’s been a long time in the making.
“It was June last year when I did that video when I said I had agreed terms with Joshua. Like we both agreed to fight each other, but I’ve got to fight Wilder first. That was a year ago.”
After Eddie Hearn had teased that Joshua was desperate for a fight date so he could start his training camp, the Watford-born boxer posted some “positive news” via social media on Monday.
Joshua said: “Positive news this evening! I’m lacing up my running boots (right now)!!!
“@258MGT and @Matchroomboxing have received the first OFFICIAL offer to host the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship Of The WORLD! I will be victorious God willing! No place to hide now! I’M COMING.”
Reports on Monday claimed that the first of two Joshua-Fury fights would take place in Saudi Arabia on July 24.
Former European super bantamweight champion Spencer Oliver told talkSPORT 2 that the fight date and venue would be agreed by the end of the week – which is after Fury’s deadline.
Oliver said: “I’ve got a feeling it will end up somewhere like Saudi, but it’s all about the site fees and who pays the most money.
“I saw the statement that Joshua and his management team put out last night saying there has been an offer put in and he seemed excited about it.
“So I think we are going to get news this week… in fact, I know we are going to get news this week. By the end of the week, we will know where the fight is happening, we will know when it is happening and I believe July 24 is a good date.”
Oliver also claimed that the second fight would take place in Britain, with Wembley Stadium discussed as a potential venue – but Joshua’s promoter Hearn admitted that the success of the UK’s coronavirus roadmap will determine whether this becomes reality.
London mayor Sadiq Khan recently admitted that he will do all he can to get the heavyweight boxing clash in London, but Hearn claims a capacity crowd would be crucial to where the venue takes place.
Speaking about the idea of a Wembley fight, Hearn added: :It will be presented. Financially, it’s not at the races. The question is: can we get 100,000 fans on July 24, the potential date in London?
“The answer is ‘we hope so’. It is difficult to make a decision on that basis. This is why it’s taking longer than expected. It’s the logistics, testing policies, crowds.
“But now is the time to make this fight. Now. The summer. We may not get this opportunity again. Both guys accept that and are ready for the challenge.”