The Cross River State Police Command on Friday confirmed the abduction of two businessmen, Paulinus Obi and Emmanuel Ozokwu, in Calabar.
The Public Relations Officer of the command, Irene Ugbo, confirmed the development in a telephone interview with a correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria in Calabar.
Ugbo said that the police were working hard to secure the release of the businessmen.
She said: “Yes we are aware of that and the police are working hard for their release. The police are not magicians, we are doing everything possible to get to the root of the matter.’’
She said that the kidnappers had yet to demand ransom.
NAN learnt that Obi, who is a motor parts dealer, was abducted in his shop by gunmen on February 7.
Ozokwu, a contractor, was also abducted by gunmen in front of his shop at Target Street in Calabar on February 8.
An eye witness, Chukwuemeka Okoli, said that Obi was kidnapped at about 7:00 p.m. at his shop.
Okoli said: “We were sitting out in front of Obi’s shop about 7:00 p.m., having drinks and two young men dressed in black walked up to him and excused him.
“As soon as he stood up, another stern-looking masked man came out from a parked old blue Audi 80 with AK 47 riffle and jerked him up and threw him into the car.
“Immediately the Audi 80 drove off with the three other persons, another Camry car parked down Bedwell by White House Street followed them and they zoomed off to unknown destination.
“Since then they have not called, neither have they sent any message as to the next thing we can do. Honestly, this is one kidnap too many and the traders would not take this matter lying low any longer.”
Reacting to the development, the President of Igbo the Community in Calabar, Chief Albert Enya, described the incident as unfortunate, calling on security operatives to step up their activities in the town.
He assured that Igbo people resident in Calabar would collaborate with security operatives to find lasting solution to the problem of kidnapping.