The consensus presidential candidate of the Third Force will be jointly decided by some prominent Nigerians.
This was revealed in a communique issued on Friday after an emergency national consultation meeting of the Third Force on Thursday.
According to the communique, those that will decided the consensus presidential candidate will include Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka; former Kaduna State Governor, retired Colonel Umar Dangiwa; constitutional lawyer, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba; and Convener of the Save Nigeria Group, Pastor Tunde Bakare.
Others include a former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Ghali Naaba; former Minister of Education, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili; a major force of the Third Force, Dr. Tawafa Balewa; and daughter of late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Dosumu Awolowo-Dosunmu.
The communique of the meeting reads in full:
Concerned by the current threats to Nigeria’s nascent democracy, national stability and credibility of the 2019 elections, especially as occasioned by the constitutional crisis foisted by President Muhammadu Buhari on the Judiciary, Leaders of thought, Presidential Candidates, Leaders of Political Parties, Civil Society and Labour Movements, Stakeholder and Allies of the third force movement in Nigeria converged on Thursday 31st January 2019 at the Banquet hall of the Sheraton Hotels Lagos to find political solutions to the lingering constitutional crisis between the Nigerian Presidency and Judiciary
After a thorough and painstaking analysis of issues involved in this heightening constitutional crisis and its impending implications and backlash on the credibility of the forthcoming 2019 elections the historic gathering took the following positions:
1. That President’s Muhammadu Buhari acted precipitately and in breach of the Nigerian Constitution to have suspended Justice Walter Onnoghen as the Chief Justice of Nigeria without following due process of the law governing the suspension/removal of the CJN and therefore should in similar stroke ensure the effective reinstatement of the CJN to allow him face judicial investigation as provided by the constitution
2. That the 2019 elections tribunals constituted by Justice Tanko Mohammed purportedly acting as Chief Justice of Nigeria is null, illegal and of no effect to the extent of the foundational constitutional harakiri committed in his appointment as well as the erroneous rush to constitute the electoral panels. So the meeting demands their immediate disbandment for a lawful set of tribunals to be inaugurated to neutralise the suspicion that the Presidency is desperate to manipulate electoral justice ahead of the 2019 polls
3. Furthermore, to ensure effective political force for the 3rd force to be able to stem the brewing constitutional crisis threatening the base of Nigeria’s democracy and nationhood and to checkmate contrived antics of the ruling class to rig the 2019 elections, stakeholders at the historic meeting decided to come together once and for all under the umbrella of a rainbow coalition named Alliance for Defence of Democracy, ADD to mobilise all allies and sympathisers of the new third force agenda in launching a major mass resistance against government’s impunity and infraction on the Nigeria’s constitution and to ensure future deterrence
4. The new Coalition also set up two major committees to facilitate the activities of ADD in the interim and to declare a nationwide mass protests for a date to be announced next Wednesday after a conveners’ tactical meeting in Abuja. The planned mass action is aimed at compelling the President to apologise to Nigerians and reverse his illegal action against the Judiciary and the rule of law
5. The group however proposed a Conveners Council of eminent leaders and political icons, who believe and are committed to producing a Credible Alternative Force in the 2019 elections. The body of eminent persons are to be chaired by Prof Wole Soyinka, who will be assisted by a collegiate, which include, Col Abubakar Umar Dangiwa, Dr Olisa Agbakoba SAN, Rt Hon Ghali Umar Na’abba, Pastor Tunde Bakare, Dr Oby Ezekwesili, Dr Abduljalil Tafawa Balewa, Dr Tokunbo Dosumu Awolowo, Mr Femi Falana. They are expected to serve as a panel of eminent jury that will endorse a consensus presidential Candidate from among fourteen Credible Presidential hopeful shortlisted by the forum to be adopted at a 3rd Force summit scheduled to hold on 12th February 2019 in Abuja
6. Outstanding and Credible Fresh breed Presidential Candidates and Political Parties so far shortlisted for consensus candidacy or alternatively electoral synergy/collaboration of the third force for 2019 elections are the following: 1. Olawepo Hashim, People’s Trust
2. Omoyele Sowore, African Action Congress, AAC
3. Kingsley Moghalu,Young Progressive Party
4. Ali Soyode, Yes Electorate Solidarity
5. Adesina Fagbenro Byron, Kowa Party
6. Chike Ukaegbu
7. Shipi Moses Godiya, All Blending Party
8. Durotoye Olufela, Alliance for New Nigeria
9. Prof. Peter Nwangwu, We the People of Nigeria Party
10. Ahmed Buhari, Sustainable National Party
11. Tope Fashua, Abundant Nigeria Renewal Party
12. David Ize-Iyamu, BNPP
13. Donald Duke, Social Democratic Party
16. John Dara, Alliance of Social Democrats.
The meeting was moderated by Prof. Anthony Kila, who was elected as ADD Spokesperson, and Dr. Olu Agunloye, who became Chair, Contact and Mobilisation at national Consultative Meeting.