The Niger State Emergency Management Agency has said that nine bodies were recovered from a boat mishap that occurred in Shiroro Local Government Area of the state.
The Head of Relief and Rehabilitation in NSEMA, Alhaji Salihu Garba, disclosed this in an interview on Sunday.
Garba spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria in Minna, the state capital.
NAN recalls that 10 persons were confirmed dead in a boat mishap that occurred on November 16.
The victims, mostly traders, were reportedly conveying goods from Zongoru Community of Bassa Ward to Gijiwa ahead of Friday market in Kuta, headquarters of Shiroro LGA, when the tragic incident happened.
At least 34 persons were said to be on board, of which 10 allegedly lost their lives, while 22 were reportedly rescued by local divers.
Garba gave the names of the deceased as Farida Muntari, Sharhabila Sagir, Bubakar Sadiq, Na’ima Ibrahim, Amina, Safaratu Ibrahim, Sadiq Ibrahim and Rafiya Yakubu.
- Actor Ninalowo shows off girlfriend three months after crash of marriage + Video
- Panel releases report on death of Abuja ‘one chance’ victim
- Editorial: FG, tread softly with banking sector recapitalisation
- FirstBank warns SMEs against sourcing finance from ‘loan sharks’
- NPFL: Pillars manage slim victory over Akwa United
He said that the agency had yet to identify two of the deceased persons, adding that all of them were from Zangoro.
He further said that there were 24 males and female adults and 10 male and female children in the boat when it capsized.
Garba also said that a search operation was ongoing to recover the remaining bodies.