A former Nigerian Consul-General, who was not identified by the police, narrowly survived an attack by car snatchers, one of whom was shot and killed in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the incident occurred on Saturday as the diplomat was returning home from OR Tambo International Airport.
Katlego Mogale, the South Africa Police Service spokesperson, who confirmed the incident, said the diplomat is now being attended to by a psychologist.
Mogale said: “The incident occurred earlier on Saturday morning when four men cornered the diplomat and his driver at a complex in the area.
“They had followed his vehicle home from the OR Tambo International Airport.”
She said the driver of the diplomat shot and killed one of the attackers, wounded another, while the driver was also shot and wounded.
Mogale said the police have arrested one suspect and are searching for two others who escaped.
She said the arrested suspected will appear in court soon.
A source at the Nigeria Consulate in Johannesburg, who spoke to NAN on condition of anonymity, said the diplomat worked as the Consul-General Cape Town before.
The source said: “Yes it is true that one of our former diplomats who served here in South Africa as Consul-General was attacked on his way from the airport.
“He is here on a visit and was attacked along with one of our mission drivers.
“The driver shot and killed one of the attackers in the shootout.
“He shot and wounded one other.
“The driver was also shot and wounded.
“The driver is currently receiving treated in hospital, but it is important to note that the former diplomat is unhurt.”
He also said that the residence of one of the diplomats working at the consulate was burgled on Saturday with his valuables stolen.