A Kaduna Chief Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday sentenced a 26-year-old labourer, Friday Joseph, to 10 months imprisonment for stealing N250, 000.
The Magistrate, Ibrahim Emmanuel, sentenced Joseph after he pleaded guilty to a three-count charge of conspiracy, breaking-in and theft.
Delivering judgment, Emmanuel, gave Joseph an option of fine of N30, 000.
He also ordered the convict to pay N40, 000 as compensation to the nominal complainant for expenses.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp Chidi Leo, told the court that the case was reported on September 20 at the Gabasawa Police station by Vincent Nathan, the complainant.
- How OAU student was killed in Ogun, his head, wrists sold for N100,000
- Police arrest five suspected armed robbers in Ogun
- Kaduna Attack: Shiites, Izala, other, seek compensation for victims
- N123bn Power Intervention: TCN completes 80% projects in Lagos
- Master plan distortion: Lagos Labour Party seeks sanction for officials issuing fake papers to residents
Leo said that the convict with two others, still at large, conspired and broke into the complainant’s house and stole N250, 000 and two phones valued at N210, 000.
He said that the convict was arrested when the complainant raised an alarm while his accomplice ran away.
The prosecutor said that the offence was punishable under the provisions of sections 59, 336 and 217 of the Kaduna Penal Code, 2017.