The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, has urged higher institutions and the general public to disregard social media reports that he has cancelled Post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.
A statement by the Federal Ministry of Education on Wednesday in Abuja directed institutions to carry on with the conduct of the post-UTME.
The statement was signed by Priscilla Ihuoma, the Director, Press and Public Relations.
Ihuoma said Adamu also warned that institutions charging above the stipulated sum of N2000 for the exercise would be sanctioned.
The statement said: “The attention of the Minister of Education has been drawn to a news report in the media claiming that the minister had issued a directive to universities to cancel the Post-UTME examinations already scheduled.
“The statement, according to the report, was issued by Mr. Ben Goong, Deputy Director of Press.
“The ministry would like to assert emphatically that the report is completely false and without foundation; Minister therefore urges universities to go ahead with their Post-UTME arrangements as earlier planned.
“Mr. Goong, who purportedly issued the statement, ceased to be a staff of the Ministry since November, 2016.
“The attention of the minister has also been drawn to some of the institutions who are charging more than the stipulated N2,000.”
Ihuoma said Adamu viewed it as an act of insubordination and emphatically redirected that every institution that violated the directive would be made to face disciplinary action.
She said the minister directed such institutions to refund to the students immediately as the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board had been directed to compile the list of violators for appropriate sanctions.
The statement added: “The ministry also urges the media to always endeavour to crosscheck facts with the relevant officials of the ministry before publication, particularly when such sensitive matters of national importance are involved.”