The Nigerian Online Newspaper

How I escaped from police custody – Ritual killer of eight-year-old girl

The suspected ritual killer who escaped from Police custody in Port Harcourt, Rivers State and was re-arrested in Jos, Plateau State, Ifeanyi Dike, on Monday told newsmen how he escaped from custody and the process that led to his rearrest.
Dike, who killed eight-year-old Chikamso Victory, and removed vital parts of her body, narrated this and more when he spoke to newsmen in Port Harcourt at the Rivers State Police Command headquarters.
Pleading for mercy, Dike said the Investigative Police Officer in his case, Johnbosco Okoroeze, who has been in detention since his escape, knew nothing about it.
Dike killed the eight-year-old Chikamso, removed her vital organs and was on his way to dispose of her remains when he was arrested by a local vigilante group in Okporo community, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State.
He is a student of the University of Port Harcourt.
The suspected ritualist had escaped from the custody of the State Criminal Investigation Department, but was re-arrested in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State last week Thursday.
Dike said: “At the State Criminal Investigation Department after I entered my statement late in the evening of the day of my first parade, my IPO asked me to go inside the cell.
“That was when I had the opportunity to run away.
“My IPO did not help me escape.
“I know what I did was wrong.
“Please forgive me and have mercy.”
Dike said he was re-arrested in Plateau State when he got involved in another crime.
He said faced with hunger, he resorted to stealing and was nabbed by residents who handed him over to the police.
He said: “I escaped to Jos.
“Having stayed for several days without food and due to the injuries I sustained, I was unable to get food to eat.
“So due to the hunger, I decided to source for food and that was where I was caught and handed over to the Police.
“When I got to the Police station, at first I was hiding my identity, but on interrogation I got fed up and gave them (Police) my aunty’s phone number.
“As soon as the Police called my aunty, she told them that I was declared wanted by the Rivers State Police Command.
“She also handed my IPO’s phone number to the Police officers and they later confirmed that I am on the wanted list.
“After I was confirmed, I was detained and returned back to Rivers State on Sunday.”