The Federal Government has announced the closure of the orientation camps of the National Youth Service Corps nationwide as a result of Coronavirus.
This was made known by the Minister of Youths and Sports, Sunday Dare, through his verified Twitter handle.
Dare said the NYSC members will, instead, proceed to their places of primary assignment.
They were initially meant to spend three weeks in the camp, where they resumed last week.
Dare tweeted in the early hours of Wednesday: “Today across the country, the NYSC Orientation camps will be closed and Youth Corpers will be paid and sent to their places of primary assignment. This again is a precautionary measure on D part of the government to check the spread of COVID-19. The DG NYSC will provide details.”
The 2020 Batch “A” Stream 1 corps members started their orientation in various camps across the country on March 10.
The closure of the camps was also confirmed by the Director, Press and Public Relations of the scheme, Adenike Adeyemi, in a statement in Abuja on Wednesday.
Adeyemi said no corps member or official has contracted the virus.
She said the corps members would be posted to commence their primary assignments.
The spokesperson added that corps member would be invited back to the orientation camps when the situation improves.
She explained that this was what happened a few years ago when the nation was confronted by the Ebola virus threat.