Charlton Athletic have become the fifth club this season to turn Shola Ameobi down after he’d spent time on trial with them.
Last week Bolton said they weren’t offering Ameobi a deal at their club after a trial period.
This followed previous failed attempts at Huddersfield, Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday earlier this season.
Now it has emerged that Ameobi trained with Charlton Athletic last week.
The press in South London say that the 34-year-old free agent discussed terms prior to the trial but after having watched him over the past week, Charlton have decided to not offer the former Newcastle striker a deal.
Ameobi has not played any football since leaving Crystal Palace at the end of last season and even then he only made four brief substitute appearances totalling 38 minutes in the Premier League.
The press reports say that Charlton Athletic had their doubts over how long it would take for Ameobi to gain “match sharpness”.
The former Newcastle striker has been training with Bolton Wanderers and manager Neil Lennon has now announced that he won’t be taking the striker on.
With five different Championship side having now turned him down, maybe Ameobi should be lowering his sights a bit.
Maybe particularly so when Lennon said that he didn’t think Ameobi was any better than Emile Heskey, who turns 38 in January.