Those who detonated twin bombs that killed no fewer than 35 persons in Maiduguri, Borno State on Saturday have been apprehended.
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, made this known in a statement on Sunday.
Olukolade said the suspected terrorists are helping the military with more information on the incident.
Olukolade also said in the statement on Sunday that the Defence Headquarters had authorised further military operations to flush out terrorists in Borno and Yobe States.
The operation involves both land and air forces.
Olukolade said the operation in Borno State was concentrated largely in Daggu and Yazza areas.
He equally said that those who murdered no fewer than 59 students of the Federal Government College in Yobe State are being smoked out of their hiding.
He said several casualties were recorded on the side of the terrorists while the military also lost some soldiers.
Olukolade, however, said before the commencement of the operations, civilians had been cleared out of the areas.
He said there have been no civilian casualties so far.
The statement by Olukolade reads in full: The air operations to clear terrorists bases sited in Daggu and Yazza areas of Borno State during the weekend have registered the expected results in the ongoing campaign against terror. The mopping up operation by ground forces after air assault has confirmed the death of several terrorists located in the bases. Civilians had earlier been evacuated from the vicinity of the identified terrorist enclaves in line with operation orders before the air and land assaults. Extensive cordon and search of the entire locality is ongoing with a view to apprehending the wounded and other members of the terrorists group who might still be trying to flee.
Also yesterday, troops in pursuit of those who carried out attack in Buni Yadi last week, had fierce encounter with the terrorists around Mainok and other locations between Apa and Abulum in Borno State. The air and land operations that ensued recorded the death of some terrorists. Soldiers also died in the encounters.
Meanwhile, suspects who are believed to have been responsible for detonating the bomb that exploded at Bintu Sugar Ngamari area of Maiduguri yesterday killing many citizens and wounding several others have been arrested and are helping in the ongoing investigation on the incident. Patrols are continuing on land and air in the entire mission area in North East towards apprehending or eliminating the rampaging terrorists in the area.
Meanwhile the campaign coordination cell has in its report, dismissed as untrue the reports claiming that civilians were mistakenly killed in the air operations in some parts of the mission area, as the claim could not be confirmed after the mopping up aspect of the operation. The reports are believed to be part of the design by those bent on discrediting the counter terrorists mission.
Defence Headquarters has reaffirmed its directive that necessary care should continue to always be taken to ensure safety of innocent Nigerians in the operational areas notwithstanding the fierceness of the encounters.