The Plateau Government says the ban on public processions in the state is still in force.
Yakubu Dati, Commissioner for Information and Communication, on Monday reminded the citizens of the ban, and warned against flouting it.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that protests have continued in some parts of the state as fallout of the local government elections held on October 10.
Dati said: “Government wishes to remind citizens that the ban on public procession in all parts of the state is still in force.
“Consequently, no persons should engage in any form of protest until further notice.
“By this notice members of the public are therefore advised to adhere strictly to the ban.
“This is to prevent miscreants and unpatriotic elements from hijacking any protest to further inflict pain and hardship on innocent citizens.”
Dati stated that an election petitions tribunal and an appeal committee for the local government elections had been set up by the Chief Judge of the state, Justice Yakubu Dakwak.
He said that the tribunal and the appeal committee were to deal with any petition that might arise from the recently concluded peaceful polls in the 13 local government areas of the state.
The commissioner advised all aggrieved candidates to approach the tribunal rather than seeking self-help through protest.
He, however, expressed the government’s appreciation of the democratic right of citizens to protest but said the administration also had a duty to protect lives and property.
Dati solicited the cooperation and support of citizens to ensure that politicians do not use them to destabilize the state for their selfish ends.