Anambra Fire Service recorded no fewer than 37 fire incidents between Jan. and February 20, according to its Acting Director, Martin Agbili.
Agbili told the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Onitsha that the fire incidents were mostly caused by bush burning, a development he said extended to nearby buildings.
He said: “In January alone, we recorded 22 and so far, we have recorded 15 this February.
“The agency is doing its best to improve services, in spite of some daunting challenges facing the organisation, which the state government has promised to tackle.”
Agbili said the record also include the recent fire incident that occurred on February 18 at the Old Motor part, Nkpor which ravaged many trucks and vehicle parts, parked at the garage.
He said: “Twenty five vehicles were burnt as against 40 reported earlier in the media. Mostly affected were fibre parts of trucks parked at the garage of the market.”
He also disclosed that the organisation had commenced sensitisation in churches, schools and market places on adoption of best fire safety measures to reduce fire incidents in the state.
Agbili said: “We are also planning a synergy with the state Material Testing Laboratory, Fiscal Planning Board and the Awka Capital Development Authority, to involve the state fire service before buildings are finally approved.
“Most of the buildings in the state and even in the country lack fire safety designs.
“We hope to synergise with these government institutions to ensure proper safety measures before buildings are approved.”
Meanwhile, the Chairman, Old Motors Spare Parts Dealers Association, Nkpor, Victor Elobi, has appealed to the state government to assist the victims of fire incidents financially and provide the market with fire-fighting equipment.
Elobi said: “We appeal to the state government, last year, to assist the market with fire trucks since most of what we deal on are coated with fuel and diesel.’’
He, however, said that the association was waiting for the granting of its request.
One of the victims, Christian Onu, who said he lost 14 fibre truck containers to the inferno also appealed to the state government and well-meaning individuals to assist him and others to recover from the loss.